Are you worried about your weakened smile? A weakened smile can be the result of damaged or broken teeth. The good thing is that you have the best options available for you to improve your smile. One such option is dental crowns. With the help of crowns, you can bring back the beauty and appeal of your lost smile. If you have lost a large amount of your tooth structure due to any reason like dental trauma, or decay, you can still achieve a stronger and more beautiful smile while restoring your full chewing ability with the help of a dental crown. Let’s learn more about this dental treatment option.
A dental crown can be used to fix a number of dental issues. These are simply the caps that are shaped like teeth. Crowns can be made out of porcelain, resin, metals, and ceramics. These are mainly used to cover the entire visible portion of your teeth above the gum line. Besides, crowns usually require no special care over time other than a good oral hygiene routine.
Benefits of dental crowns
Some of the key benefits of crowns are:
- Strong protective shield: The crown provides a strong protective shield so that a person can comfortably bite down their favorite food without worrying about getting their tooth broken or fractured. This way, a dental crown eliminates the fear of losing a more vital tooth structure.
- Add to the beauty: Crowns not only provide strength but also add to the beauty of your smile. Since these are mostly made of porcelain that resists stains, these can be matched closely to the color of your existing teeth. Porcelain is a light-reflective material that mimics the look of natural tooth enamel. This way, the new dental crown blends well with your smile, making it appear more natural and beautiful.
- Save a severely damaged tooth: A dental crown can save a severely damaged tooth. Various conditions like tooth decay, trauma, and stress can badly affect the outer tooth. In many cases, a tooth may become so weak and broken that a dentist may either suggest tooth extraction or a dental crown to save it.
- Protects a dead tooth from falling apart: If your tooth is suffering from pulpitis, an infection of the tooth pulp, it can lead to the death of the inner tooth. A dentist can treat irreversible pulpitis by removing the infected pulp via a root canal treatment. However, after performing the root canal, the dentist needs to restore the tooth. Here comes the role of a dental crown. A crown is the best way to restore the tooth after filling in the hole. This way, a crown protects your dead tooth, especially a molar, from breaking into pieces.
- Provides better protection for a tooth with a history of tooth decay: If your tooth has been treated for tooth decay many times, it is perhaps the best candidate for a dental crown. Your dentist may suggest you get a dental crown on the affected tooth instead of using a filling or a dental onlay. This dental crown or cap will cover the whole tooth and create a barricade between the vulnerable tooth and the rest of the mouth. This barrier will prevent the tooth from coming into contact with acids, sugars, starch, and harmful bacteria.
- Act as a versatile cosmetic option: Dental caps can correct several imperfections in teeth. For instance, they can easily and effectively cover up crooked, chipped, and discolored teeth. A dentist can also use crowns to enhance your smile. These can be used to close the gap in teeth by covering small teeth and making them look bigger. This makes crowns the best cosmetic treatment option for people who want to make their smile more attractive and beautiful.
- Highly durable: As compared to dental fillings, inlays, and onlays, crowns are a more durable dental restoration option. Unlike other cosmetic treatments, crowns are a quite robust and more durable solution that can last for at least 5-15 years. You will be amazed to know that dental caps can perform better than veneers and dental bonding.
Tips to care for your dental crowns
No doubt, crowns are durable, to enhance their lifespan, it is important to care for them properly. Here are some of the key tips to keep your crowns in better condition:
- Make sure to brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- After the treatment, you may feel teeth sensitivity for some time. Therefore, it is advisable to use a toothpaste specifically made for sensitive teeth to reduce the chances of any kind of discomfort.
- ● Avoid chewing on hard food like ice that could damage the crown.
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth.
- Visit your dentist for a routine checkup, cleaning, and inspections to determine the condition of your crowns.
- Limit the consumption of sugary or acidic foods and drinks to avoid any other dental issues.
Cost of dental crown treatment
It is important to know that the costs of crowns can vary depending on a number of factors like the location and the type of crown you choose. Usually. A dental crown may range from $800 to $1,500 or more per crown.
To conclude, dental crowns are the best treatment option for tooth restoration. As compared to other dental restoration methods, crowns assure a higher success rate. Therefore, if you are planning to enhance the appearance of your smile, then crowns can be the best choice for you. Your dentist can help you to decide if this treatment option is best for you. After all, it is about creating the smile you deserve.