Breast Cancer Patients
During chemotherapy, many people undergo the side effects of radiation, leading to loss of appetite, feeling of bad taste, nausea, chronic indigestion, and even impaired nutrition absorption. On some people, the treatment shows totally opposite results, including excessive weight, loss of stamina, or binge eating due to emotional weakness and stress. AMRI Hospitals brings you a quick guide of dietary plans that recommend you to have certain food choices essential for breast cancer patients and survivors.
• Make Fruits and Vegetables your Survivor Companion
Include at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables on a daily dosage of nutrients, including vegetables like cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli for their natural anti-estrogen properties. A serving of berries, apples, tomatoes, dark leafy vegetables, colorful fruits, and carrots is also a beneficial choice to maintain weight and health.
• Welcome Whole Grains in Diet Chart
Several options are available to fulfil the requirements of a whole-grains diet in your routine. Go for wheat/high-fibre bread, quinoa, cereals, oatmeal, barley, or brown rice, which helps digest the food and helps keep healthy bowel movements. Include a mandatory 25 to 30 grams of fibre daily, while avoiding refined sources that might contain excessive sugar.
• Maintain a Source of Vitamin D
A rich source of Vitamin D is necessary during the ongoing chemo-sessions says, AMRI Hospitals health experts. Even after successfully battling the disease, a person needs to get full nutrients, including milk, fortified cereal, salmon, sardines, orange, and lemon juice. Exposure to the sun is also important since it improves the survival rate and prevents cancers from regrowing.
• Make a balance: High Protein and Low Fat
Whether you have a risk of getting breast cancer or not, the consumption of legumes and beans plays a significant role in keeping the body strong to fight damaging cells. We recommend a balanced diet including fish, including tuna or salmon, and poultry. Include tofu, nuts, flax seeds, walnut, canola oil, soya, skinless chicken, turkey breasts, while avoiding processed meat, particularly red meat. It is also advisable to keep consumption of dairy in check and go for low fat products.
To maximize your diet benefits, sometimes you need to work on triggering elements that subtract the nutritional components of the food you are consuming for strength. Here is a small guideline to follow:
• Food supplements are hoaxes in providing anti-cancer benefits as raw fruits and vegetables. In fact, components of some supplements can result in increasing the risk of growing cancer
• Heavy alcohol consumption is another leading factor in developing breast cancer in women at a young age
• Be alert and watchful of what and how you eat, as researches advise on that the right intake of calories . Our body tends to have more calories and less nutrients while watching TV, driving, or other sedentary activities.
For breast cancer patients, adopting healthy food habits may lower the risk of recurrence and improve survival chances. To others, it should act as an eye-opener to pick up a lifestyle that prevents you from falling into the trap of life-threatening diseases.